Monday, February 7, 2011

Review - Looking for Alaska


Title: Looking for Alaska (amazon)
Author: John Green
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date:  2005
Pages: 256
Genre:YA

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take - I really liked the story. It was funny and sad and the same time. Miles ends up with a pretty eccentric roommate and falls in love with the crazy girl he can’t have. He meets Alaska and falls in love with her instantly. There are a lot of pranks played throughout the book which makes it a lot of fun. There are also a few “firsts” which were hysterical. It all boils down to a few friends at boarding school trying to make sense out of life and seeking answers to a tragedy that befalls them. I thought it was very good.

Kim’s Rank: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. I remember I tried to read this a long while ago, when I started to follow the VlogBrothers, lol, I couldn't get into it much. :(

    But I like your review, and maybe I should give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alejandra...It did start a little slow but got better as I got further into it. I usually give up by then but I'm glad I didn't! :)

    ReplyDelete