Thursday, February 3, 2011

Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium (Amazon)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release date: 2/1/2011
Pages: 440 pages
Genre: YA

Summary:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
(from Goodreads)


Missy's take-

Lena is a 17 year old girl living in a world where love is now regarded as a horrible and deadly disease. Everyone is required to undergo a treatment or "cure" procedure when they turn 18. After this their lives are basically mapped out for them and they are stripped of any emotions that allow them to feel love.

Originally Lena is excited about the procedure. She just wants to get it done and over with and go on living a life that is pretty much mapped out for her. That is, until she meets Alex. Alex ends up changing the way she views the world and the way she views love. He makes her see things about the world she is living in that she refused to see before. From that point on it turns into an amazing love story.

I don't even know where to begin with this one as far as my feelings go. It's one of those books that I feel like I just can't put into words. It was absolutely amazing. It caused me such a mix of emotions that I never thought possible. It was a beautiful story that was extremely well written.

As much as I was looking forward to the book it far exceeded any expectations that I had for it. I didn't even think that was possible! It is now, beyond a doubt, one of my favorite books of all time.

I would highly recommend it!

Missy's rating - 5/5

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this! I love how Lauren Oliver makes everything so emotional. The plot of the book seems like it's relatively ordinary (or at least done before), but Lauren makes the ordinary something special - at least she did with Before I Fall.

    ReplyDelete