Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review - Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

images 
Title: Cryer's Cross (Amazon)
Author: Lisa McMann
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date:  Feb 8th, 2011
Pages: 240
Genre: YA
Source:  I own

Summary via Goodreads:
The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried

Missy's take - 

Wow. Just wow. I wanted to write the review about this while it was still fresh in my mind. It was absolutely haunting. That's the best word that I can use to describe it.

The story focuses on Kendall, a high schooler from a small town with OCD. In the course of a few months 2 students in their very small community go missing, including Kendall's best friend Nico. She begins to hear voices and see words etched into the desk that Nico sat at. The more she sees and hears things, the more she believes it is just her imagination due to her OCD.

I have never read anything that focused around OCD. It was interesting to be in the mind of someone who has it and to know what they are feeling and thinking. It's unimaginable how difficult things must be when having to worry about numbers or any other OCD related thing, along with everything else going on in someones life. I know people that have smaller forms of OCD and McMann hit the nail right on the head in my opinion. Having to obsess over such things must be extremely stressful and she portrays that beautifully.

I think the story was fantastic. It was very well put together. It was so creepy! Adding the OCD issue made it even more intriguing. I swear at some points of the books I really had goosebumps.

Missy's rating - 5/5 

I have been reading some fantastic books lately. I think I have given them all a 5! :) 

4 comments:

  1. I met Lisa McMann last week & got my copy of Cryer's Cross signed (still need to read it, btw!) & she told us about how she got the idea for Kendall to have OCD because her daughter suffers from it. She went in to great detail about her daughter's condition & how she's over come so much b/c of it. I thought it was really interesting.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do want to read this one pretty bad! Your review just made me crave it more.

    :) Thanks for the review, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great review of Cryer's Cross! I have heard nothing but fabulous remarks on this book. It looks so creepy, but I just have to toughen up and read it =] I am part of the population that has a less-than-serious form of OCD so I am glad to see that there is actually a book that includes it!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so creepy. I totally got goosebumps too! I loved Lisa McMann's usage of the OCD in the story. It really wouldn't have worked without Kendall suffering from it.

    ReplyDelete