Thursday, January 27, 2011

Review - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

city_of_bones[1]


Title: City of Bones - The Mortal Instruments (Book One) (Amazon)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry 
Release date: 2007
Pages: 485 pages
Genre: YA 

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....
(from goodreads.com)

Missy's take - 

After finishing it I was pretty blown away by the plot itself. There is a mixture of everything I love in it, vampires, werewolves, demons, faeries and this is my first introduction into the world of Shadowhunters. If I'm being completely honest the book did start off relatively slow. I was worried whether or not I was really going to be able to get into. The action picks up about midway through the book and I wasn't able to put it down from that point on.

The detail in the book is great. Things were described in such great detail that I could envision myself there at times. From the moment the characters were introduced I had images of them in my head. I love when books do that because the characters instantly become more real to me.

Some things that happened were pretty predictable, but overall I really ended up enjoying it.

Missy's Rating - 4/5






1 comment:

  1. I thought this books was alright, I enjoyed some elements of it but was really thrown by the eluding sibling revelation (although I did see it coming while thinking 'Nooo").

    Thankyou for checking out my blog, liking yours!! See you around the blogoshpere :)

    Jess :)

    ReplyDelete